Potato Salad is the Number One BBQ Side
Americans across the country have pronounced potato salad their No. 1 pick among healthy BBQ side dishes. According to a poll on CookingLight.com, potato salad is the favorite healthy summer side, surpassing other traditional sides like coleslaw, pasta salad and baked beans.
The good news is, potatoes are a healthy alternative for your BBQ. A skin-on medium potato (5.3 oz) costs only 25 cents per serving and:
- Is gluten-free, cholesterol-free, fat-free and sodium-free
- Has only 110 calories
- Offers 45% of your daily recommended Vitamin C
- Provides you with 2 g of fiber
- Is the most affordable fruit or veggie source of fresh potassium – 620 g, which is more than a banana provides
So throw some burgers, brats and dogs on the grill — then serve some of these healthy potato salad options:
- Country Potato Salad — a refreshing recipe featuring ham and small potatoes tossed in buttermilk, chives and fresh mint.
- This Southwestern Potato Salad offers a spicy twist to the usual potato salad, complemented by chipotle chiles, black beans and corn.
- A new twist on an old standard, this Healthy Potato Salad is not only healthy, but colorful and tasty.