Alice in Dairyland Loves Wisconsin Potatoes and Here’s Why
We’d like you to meet Katie Wirkus, Wisconsin’s current Alice in Dairyland. She’s helping us celebrate National Potato Lovers Month, traveling the state to talk about the nutritional benefits of potatoes and the important role our Wisconsin potato growers play in Wisconsin’s economy. Watch her latest interview on WISN TV.
Did you know that:
- Wisconsin ranks third in the nation for potato production.
- Wisconsin harvests 2.2 billion pounds of potatoes a year.
- Wisconsin potatoes generate $350 million for Wisconsin’s economy.
- A medium potato has only 110 calories, provides 45% of the daily recommended Vitamin C, and has more potassium than a banana.
- Potatoes are sodium, cholesterol, fat and gluten free.
- If you’re looking for healthier low-fat options, use yogurt for mashed potatoes or potato salads.
- Bake fries with olive oil to get healthy, crispy fries packed with potato flavor.
- Top your baked potato with salsa or cottage cheese.
- Potatoes are fantastic on greens with a smattering of cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Potatoes are convenient to make and come in a wide variety, including bite sized, fingerlings and various colors.
Looking for a great Wisconsin potato recipe? We have over 600 in our Wisconsin potato recipe database.