- 1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 3/4 cup milk warmed
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup plain mashed potatoes unseasoned and without added milk or butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 to 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Stir together the yeast, sugar and warm water in a large bowl and allow the mixture to rest and become bubbly for about 5 minutes.
- Add the milk, butter, mashed potatoes and salt. Mix in enough flour to form a firm dough (you may need slightly less or more than the 5 cups listed).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Form the kneaded dough into a ball and place into a large, greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Gently punch down the dough and then turn it onto a floured surface. Shape into two round loaves and place onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise again until almost double in size (about 25 to 30 minutes).
- Cut an "X" or a few decorative slashes into the top of the raised dough if desired.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and allow the bread to cool before slicing.
Calories: 3312kcalCarbohydrates: 582gProtein: 85gFat: 67gSaturated Fat: 38gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 2gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 2929mgPotassium: 1324mgFiber: 19gSugar: 59gVitamin A: 2110IUCalcium: 601mgIron: 32mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!